1. What did you learn this week?
This week I learned about life cycles. We discussed what seed germination is, and germinated lentil seeds. We also differentiated dormant versus active seeds. Dormant state is before the seed is given water, warmth, air, light, and soil to start growing. We learned about the life cycles of different insects such as butterflies and mealworms. We learned about each stage within the life cycle.
2. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
I can apply what I have learned this week into my future teaching by implementing the hands-on aspect of what we did in lab this week. For example, germinating the lentil seeds, planting the fast plants, and using play-dough to make a visual of a life cycle of our choice. These visuals helped me picture the process, and I think that will be important in my future classroom. These types of activities are also fun for young students, making them enjoy learning.
3. What are new or remaining questions?
My question that I have is related to why my partner and I's fast plant did not absorb the water at all. Why did the plant not absorb any of the water? We tried every technique for it, putting the water in very slowly, taking the excess water out, etc. I have never seen soil repel water like ours was. Usually it soaks right into the soil, and we also did not put the water in way too fast.

Hi Grace! My partner and I had the same troubles with our fast plant not absorbing the water. I'm still not sure why the water wouldn't absorb into the plant but I'm also curious to find out if there is a specific way of doing it.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace! I also liked the play-dough activity! I thought it was so fun and agree that it would be great for a hands-on activity for young learners. I agree with you about the soil repelling the water!! The water just kept on balling up for us and would not soak into the soil!
ReplyDeleteI love your model! It is very intricate and can help visual learners to deeper their understanding. It is shocking to hear about your soil repelling water. I too wonder what the scientific reasoning behind that is.
ReplyDelete