This week we learned about density and continued to explore the properties of matter. We first drew a model of something that we thought represents something less dense and something more dense. We drew less particles in the less dense one and more particles in the more dense one. The little circles in the cubes represent particles or atoms because we said that something is more dense when it has more atoms inside of it. We then did an experiment with M&Ms to see if a certain color dispersed faster in water than the other colors. We decided that none of the colors dispersed faster than the others, but found that having sugar in the water makes the colors leak out slower. We learned that this is because the water is more dense with the sugar (more particles) in it than regular water (less particles). This matched up to the models that we drew at the beginning of class and it was cool to see how density really works. I am able to related what I have learned to what I already knew because I have learned about density before in other science classes that I have taken. I have done some similar experiments for density, but never one with M&Ms so it was fun to do something different but also relate it to what I have already known about density. I can apply what I have learned this week into my future teaching by having the same dynamics of this lesson. I liked how it started out with a question and guessing for something we maybe were not certain about with what makes something more dense and then the experiment helped actually answer that question for us. I think asking a question where students are not sure and then doing an activity that helps them answer the question is a good way to make the students engaged and excited about what they are learning and about what they find out during an experiment. 

Comments

  1. Hi Grace! I also drew connections to what I already knew. I learned about density and volume, but I had never done this activity either. I also liked that this activity started with questions and allowed students to experiment on their own. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment