Week 4 Blog Post

 



1. What affects how long it takes a swing to go back and forth? In this lab, we tested if the weight of the rider affects how long it takes for a swing to go back and forth. To measure this, we decided to time it for the swing going back and forth 10 times. We used different weighted balls: brass, cork, and aluminum. We tested each ball three times, timing the 10 swings in seconds. We initially thought that the weight would affect how long it took to swing back and forth 10 times. We found that each different weighted ball still swung 10 times at around the same amount of seconds. 

2. In lecture this week, I learned that gravity pulls harder on objects that have more mass, which makes it harder to accelerate. I learned that these forces cancel each other out. I learned that the longer the swing rope is, the more gravitational energy it has. The longer swing travels farther, but they have the same speed. I also learned that swings stop when you don't push them because of the collision with air particles.

3. Pressbook findings

- I learned that pendulums have potential energy (PE) and kinetic energy (KE). I learned that at the start of the swing motion, pendulums have potential energy, and as it swings down, that potential energy turns into kinetic energy. It turns back into potential energy when it swings back up. I learned that pendulums have the most amount of energy when they are at the bottom of their swing, kinetic energy. 

- The pendulum waves video was the most helpful for me in this pressbook. I thought that this video showed a great example of all of the variables we have been testing like the weight, release angle, and length. It showed that the shorter strings caused those pendulums to swing faster. 

- I need more information on potential energy and kinetic energy. I watched the short video about it and understand how and when this energy is converted with swings but would still like to learn more.

- Why doesn't the angle of release matter if it is about 20 degrees or less?

Comments