Week 12: Climate Change

 Before The Flood

- Urgency of climate action, human activities are the cause, many global impacts, solutions are out there. 

- Fossil fuels, deforestation, political roadblocks, consumer choices, global inequality. 

- What are the main human things that are contributing to climate change? What can people do to address climate change? 

- Build context carefully to students, used inquiry-based activities, think critically, advocate for students, be cautious of what you say and how you say it. 


What did you do in lab today? 

In lab today, we looked at many images from NASA that showed climate change happening over the years. We also investigated if the Goldfinch was in danger and how we would know based on climate data in the state of Iowa. We looked at different regions throughout Iowa and looked at data of rain fall. We looked at the average in different cities. We were confused on how this relates to the goldfinch bird though and we did not have enough time to cover that part after we collected our data. 

What was the big question?

Can we see climate change happening? Is the goldfinch in danger and how do we know? What could we measure? 

What did you learn in Thursday's discussion? 

We had our learning assessment in Thursday's discussion so we did not learn anything new. 

Pressbook: 

- What did you learn?

I learned that weather refers to the short-term atmospheric conditions like if it is raining today and climate refers to the usual weather activity like if it was raining a lot during the spring. I learned about the different factors that determine if an area has hot or cold climates, such as the latitude, the ocean currents, the wind, the elevation, and the relief. I also learned about the different climate change topics in Iowa which are more rain and drought, hotter temperatures, impact on agriculture, and habitat changes. 

- What was most helpful?

What I found to be the most helpful was the fact that there were many different examples in this that related climate change to things that are relevant to us such as climate change within Iowa, and also things about the University. I think this was more engaging and also helped me make sense and relate to climate change. 

- What do you need more information on?

I need more information on the Goldfinch bird because I am still confused on how that relates to climate change. 

- What questions, concerns, and/or comments do you have?

What else can we do about climate change that gets EVERYONE involved to make a difference?

Comments